Friday, July 17
My thoughts on charity
This week I was asked to substitute teach in Relief Society and the lesson is about charity. Through study of this subject, I have come to understand that charity is not just an act of giving alms, but the highest, noblest form of love that can be reached. The love our Savior has for each of us that allowed Him to give His very life for us. It is this great love, that if sought for, can give us the motivation to love unconditionally and to serve those around us. As I have pondered this topic each morning as I take a walk, I have been reminded of so many examples of this pure love, examples I have heard about and some I have benefited from firsthand. One that keeps coming to mind is when a milkman lost all reason and control and stormed into an Amish school and shot 10 of the community's precious daughters, killing 5 of them. The Amish then did something amazing, instead of anger and hatred, they turned around and extended love and affection to the family of the very man who killed their little girls. What an example of the kind of love Christ tries to teach us! This strong, noble love is a gift of the Spirit and can be sought for and attained. In my own life, I have seen remarkable examples of selfless acts given because of pure love. Recently with this last pregnancy, because of complications of my last two c-sections, when I began early labor, my life was threatened. Without asking for the help needed to keep me safe, my mom and sister put their lives on hold to help save mine. Mom came and watched the kids and ran the household, doing everything I was not able to do for weeks. My sister, Krissy, took Zach in for many weeks and treated him as her own. I am so grateful for the love they have which enabled them to serve me and my family. It is this great love which exemplifies charity. Charity truly is the very character and nature of Jesus Christ. I am grateful to my Heavenly Father and our Savior for their love for us. I am grateful for charity, and I hope to be found possessed of it when I return someday to live with my Father in Heaven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Kim, the service that I had the opportunity to give you & your family was very little compared to the many sacrifices YOU have made, and continue to make, for your family. (I'm in awe of all the mothers in our family who are raising families right now!!) I've had many, many opportunities to observe your life and actions, listen to what is in your heart, and to see how you have dealt with the challenges in your life and worked through them. I've observed your relationships with other people. I know of your great faith. I also know that you possess the gift of humility.
You consistently seek the Lord in prayer for guidance and for strength and to thank him for his blessings. (I love to hear members of your family pray during family prayer -
they are specific in the things they say and are always thinking of others. I believe that is
because of your influence in their lives). I appreciate the example that you have been to ME. Also, there have been many people who have expressed their appreciation, in conversation with me, of your friendship and your positive influence on THEM. Family, friends, neighbors, people with whom you come in contact have been lifted and strengthened by your kind and thoughtful acts, your willingness and ability to really listen and to be a peacemaker, your understanding and sensitivity to the feelings of others and to "see" them in the way that the Savior would want for us to see each person (as a person of great individual worth, a son or daughter of God), your Courage to stand up for truth and to share your faith in Jesus Christ & in the plan of our Father in Heaven.
I am also grateful for the charity demonstrated by my parents and many members of the Les & Ruth Ford family.
I love the story of the Amish community and their ability to show true charity, despite the fatal harm that came to their beloved children. It always touches my heart each time I hear it and helps me to want to do much better in developing charity in my own life.
Thanks so much to everyone that has shared their thoughts and testimonies so far.
I look forward to hearing about more experiences, serious or humorous, and whatever else
(thoughts, quotes, references to articles, music, uplifting video, etc.) that the family has to share!
I agree with Mom. Thanks Kim for being an example of faith and charity and blessing the lives of your family and friends. I love you!
Kris
For it is the feeling of charity that makes us DESIRE to serve others. Sometimes our hearts can be so full of charity, and yet we cannot serve because of personal circumstances. But it is what our hearts are made of that counts. Do we love our brothers and sisters whoever they may be, or do we look for excuse to look away. I love the gift of charity and wish I always have it in my life. But it is a gift that we have to seek earnestly every day. But I'm grateful for Jesus Christ and the love that he has for us and that he can give us the gift to love as well.
I liked what you shared about charity. I learned that charity doesn't just mean giving things, but it also means to share your love. I liked the story that you shared. The Amish people must have had lots of love in their heart to forgive the man even though they miss their daughters. I love you a lot.
Emily =)
Post a Comment